Here you will find the answers to our most frequently asked questions! If you can’t find the answer to your question here, always feel free to ask!
We’ll be happy to help!
Email Lacey with your name and age of your child at email@example.com
We offer care for children 6 weeks to kindergarten!
Yes we do! We have limited spots per classroom.
Please contact DHS for more information.
Play and Learn is open Monday – Friday from 6:30AM to 6PM.
Play and Learn is closed on the following day each year:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving & the Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
**We may close additional days around the holidays.
Yes, stop by the front desk and pick up a form!
Play & Learn has a key pad entry into the building. Once your child is enrolled, each parent/guardian will get their own door code. The office staff is able to see who comes in the building based on the codes entered.
Play & Learn follows the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) guidelines when planning our meals and snacks. Weely menus are posted throughout the center, on our website, on Facebook, and available at the front desk.
Snack is served at 9AM and again at 2:30PM with Lunch at 11AM.
If your child has food allergies or sensitivities please inform Play and Learn right away. You may be asked to fill out a food allergy plan to keep on file at the center. Play and Learn can accommodate by making substitutions to meals.
Play & Learn is a nut-free center.
To assist children in developing self-control, self-confidence, and sensitivity to their interactions with others, and to prevent injury and ensure a child’s activities are not infringing on the rights of other’s, the following strategies are used to guide the children’s behavior:
- Focusing on the child’s behavior. There are no “good” or “bad” children.
- Reinforcing appropriate behavior.
- Observing children to anticipate potential difficulties.
- Establishing eye contact and calling the child by name to gain the child’s attention.
- Remaining near the child in situations where he/she may be losing self-control.
- Modeling problem solving.
- Offering choices.
- If all else fails, a child will be removed from the situation in way that ensures the “break” is a positive learning experience. The “break” will take place in the play area, but away from activity, where the child can be supervised. The child will be allowed to determine when he/she can return to the activity. A Play area break will be no longer than one minute per year of age. Praise will be given for appropriate and acceptable behavior once the child has returned to the activity.
Here at Play & Learn we understand that when a child acts out of their normal behavior it’s really a communication problem.
Please keep your child home from daycare if any of the following symptoms are observed:
- Temperature of 101 or higher within the past 24 hours
- Diarrhea of vomiting within the past 24 hours
- Severe, continuous cough
- Difficult or rapid breathing
- Unexplained rash or open sores such as impetigo
- Thick mucous or discharge from eyes or nose
* this policy may have changed during covid-19 – please refer to covid-19 guidelines once enrolled.
Yes, we do! We offer part time for ages for over 12 months. You can contact Lacey at firstname.lastname@example.org for rates and availability.
The state of Iowa requires all teachers to be Mandatory Reporter and CPR/First Aid certified as well as trained in Universal Precautions. There is also a 12 hour essentials training required upon hired. Play & Learn also requires Asst. Teachers to have an additional 6 hours, Lead Teachers an additional 10 hours, and Management to have an additional 20 hours per year of continuing education.
Play & Learn encourages all staff members to further their education by enrolling in the T.E.A.C.H scholarship program in which we help them pursue a CDA or Early Childhood Degree.
Email Lacey at email@example.com to set up a tour today!
Play & Learn follow state regulations for child to staff ratios, they are the following:
- Children 24 mo and younger: 4:1
- Two year olds: 7:1
- Three year olds: 10:1
- Four year olds: 12:1
- School age: 15:1
Absolutely! Play & Learn has an open door policy for parents/guardians!